Monday, December 11, 2006

That day

"My first sight of Grandpa made me cry. He lay in the hospital bed that had been moved into his and Grandma's bedroom. The blanket was pulled up under his chin and all you could see was his head. All the hollows were sunken in and his skin was very yellow. He smiled a little when he saw me, and I leaned over and gave him a hug. I felt like I might break him, he was so fragile....I knelt down beside the bed and told Grandpa about my week of hanging out with homeless people and giving roses to prostitutes. As I talked his eyes kept closing. I think he dozed of and I left the room. I sat on a chair in Grandma's livingroom and cried hard....The last time I went in was just before we left. I leaned over and kissed his forehead and told him I loved him. "I love you." he said in a strained voice hardly louder than a whisper....

"Sunday afternoon [Dec 11] I went with Hillary, Jill, Jana, Eunie, Melissa, and Andrew to UBC. We just walked around exploring. After we'd been there for a while (it was about 4:40) Hillary's cell rang. I was just about to run around an indian longhouse when Hillary said the phone was for me. Everyone got very quiet...When I got off the phone I found myself in a big bear hug in Hillary's arms. I was very soon hugged from behind by several other people..."

Edit: I wasn't/am not particularly sad or anything. I wanted to edit this post and say that earlier, but the power has been out at my house and I haven't had access to the internet.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Has it been a year? It seems forever, but yet again, just yesterday. You made some tears run down my face reading your post. How you must miss him! How I miss my Grandpa! Every now and then thoughts will pop in my head about what Grandpa said or thought of this or that. And often I find myself pondering what my Grandpa would think and say about the things I'm doing in my life now.

I was at my Aunt's staying with her kids when they brought my Grandparents from the airport. When I got back there, they already had him in bed. I didn't say much to him, as I was pretty shocked and he seemed really tired. He'd lost most of his hair, and some weight, and looked so fragile and.... old. I think it really hit home then. And less then a month later he was gone.

I'm here if you ever need to talk, and I'm praying for you, girl! I understand how hard it is! Sorry I haven't been around much.:/